Thursday, May 2, 2013

(Gluten Free) Dutch Apple Pancake

Since I have to eat gluten free, I cook gluten free for the whole family....except for those times when Brandon has some peanut butter toast or something, then I don't subject him to the gluten free bread, because, let's face it, gluten free bread isn't all that tasty.

Anyhow, I thought maybe I would post some of my favorite recipes for any of you who might interested....Tonight's recipe is for Dutch Apple Pancake.  This is something my kids LOVE!  We eat it for Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper!  I've even been known to serve leftovers as a snack (if there are any leftovers that is!)

Oven-Baked Dutch Apple Pancake
(I adapted this recipe to be gluten free, so it can easily be made using whatever flour you desire)

2 apples, cored and sliced (I leave the peel on and just slice, I don't dice)
1-2 tbsp butter (I use coconut oil)
1 tsp cinnamon
Sprinkle of sugar

3 eggs
1/2 c milk (I use almond milk)
1/2 cup brown rice flour or almond flour
1 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c flax meal
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350

Warm a cast iron skillet on medium heat and add the coconut oil, swirl the pan to make sure the bottom is covered with the oil.  Arrange the apples in a circular pattern in the pan, covering the entire bottom of the pan with the slices.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until frothy.  Add the remaining wet ingredients.  Add all the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed

Pour pancake batter over apples sizzling in the cast iron and put the cast iron in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.



I'm telling you, these don't even need any syrup or powdered sugar, they are good enough to eat by themselves! 

Let me know if you try it and what you think!  :)
I will work on getting a picture to add to this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment