Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Life without a microwave

We didn't notice when we first looked at the house, but there was no microwave above the stove.  Nor was it any other place in the kitchen.  We fully intended to purchase one and install it where the vent/hood is now, but here we are, three months later, and still no microwave!  Maybe it's because we don't mind not having one, or maybe it's because we're cheap and simply haven't gone to the store and put down the money!  Either way, we are doing all of our cooking without a microwave.

I have enjoyed the challenge of figuring out how to heat things up without the handy dandy microwave.  And let me tell you, our pots and pans have received quite the workout since we've moved!  And the purchase of a double oven has been very beneficial too!  It's not as quick to heat food up, so I've had to plan ahead a little better with knowing how long to plan for.  But overall  I would say we haven't really been lacking without a microwave!

Do I miss having a microwave?  Of Course!  I truly miss microwave popcorn!  And when a recipe needs some melted butter...boy that was handy!  And now that fall is here...I want a quick way to heat up milk for some rich hot chocolate!  But now that we have survived without one for a while, I'm wondering if we'll actually ever get one!  Perhaps there are some health benefits to not having a microwave?

I've figured out how to make popcorn on the stove (without a WhirleyPop, even!), melt butter in a small sauce pan, heat leftovers in the oven or on the stovetop, etc.  It's created a few more dishes, but what's one more when you've got a sink full of soapy water?! 

There is one thing I would like to purchase if we are going to continue to not have a microwave....one of those little butter melting pots that all the chefs on the Food Network use!  Those are so cute!  And obviously created just for that task.  I would prefer to wash that than my much bigger sauce pan!

Any of you out there not have a microwave?  What do you do when guests come over?  Do you have any tips or tricks you'd like to share?

Happy Cooking! (with or without a microwave!)

3 comments:

  1. Hey! We didn't have a microwave in India, and I couldn't believe how much I relied on it without even knowing it! My tips from there won't help much though - the food was way different. :) What a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you need to come over and teach me how to cook a few Indian dishes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Microwave.....I don't know the last time I used mine in my apartment. There isn't enough counter space for it, so I keep it in my craft {ok...junk} room, and just leave it there.
    Like you say, you learn to cook without it. How many centuries did people cook without one? I don't feel like I'm missing out or anything. When I need water or milk for tea or hot chocolate, I heat it up on the stove. When I have other leftovers, I just put it in a small skillet or even often use my toaster oven.
    I do PLENTY of cooking and baking, and do just fine without it. So keep up not getting one!
    Or, I guess I could give you mine the next time you visit Ames. :)

    ReplyDelete